How's it going everyone!? This year Nerd901 is going to be covering as much of E3 as we can from Memphis, TN. The expo is held every year in Los Angles, CA during this time of year. Each year new games are announced, soon to be released games are shown in further detail, and expectations are high. Adam and I will list about five games each that we know are going to be there. Then for some fun, we are going to do three to five games that we would hope to see shown. If you are a gaming person this week is almost like Christmas morning to you. Finding out what games you get to look forward to in the next couple of years, as well as the things you get to play by the end of this year, is exciting. We hope you enjoy speculating, as much as we did. If there is anything you are looking forward to at E3 2016 please let us know. You can also tweet at @Nerd_901. All the best!
Five games coming to E3 that I'm interested in:
- Nick Schifani
1. Titanfall 2 - The first installment of this game was one of the first launch games for the Xbox One. Many people fell in love with it pretty quick. The idea of piloting massive mech suits was more than enough for people to jump into this game. Unfortunately for me, I was still a year away from getting my own Xbox One. So, I missed out when the game was popular. A downside of the game was the lack of a single person campaign, and that caused the quick turn-off for the game. People were getting tired of having to be constantly connected online to play the game. There are two things that interest me about this sequel. First off, will there be a single player aspect to the game? I think not, but who knows. Secondly, now that the game is coming to PS4 will it get even more traction than it did the first time around. I hope at the conference these questions can be answered, as well as seeing some gameplay. When the teaser trailer was released, we posted it here.
2. Attack on Titan - How could I not be excited about this game?! Now, I get to control Eren Yeager and the Scout Regiment on their mission to save the world as they know it. Flying around using the 3D Maneuvering Gear to chopped down giant titans, sells me on this game. I have seen some footage from the Japanese version of the game, and it does looks fun. I know this game will be based loosely on the first season of the poplar anime show. As a Matter of fact, do yourself a favor, and check out the show on Netflix. I can't wait to see what they are going to show at E3. We won't have to wait long to get our hands on the game either. It comes out August 30, 2016.
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn - I'm sure Adam will touch on this game too. Probably because the game looks gorgeous. Guerrilla Games has created what appears to be a beautiful and vast open world game. You take control of the female lead, Aloy, in a world where massive robotic creatures are roaming the Earth. This story takes place 1,000 years in the future. Earth has been long abandoned, and the mechs Aloy hunts contain components key to her survival, like, electricity and metal. The player gets to use creative ways to dispatch of the creatures, such as tripwires and shooting enemies with arrows. This week the game was pushed back to February 28, 2016. Check out the amazing trailer here.
4. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - Activision has already said they are not going to hold their own press conference at E3. Which makes me wonder how much of this game we actually get to see. I would imagine the same as every year, but you never know how things could work out. I'm also assuming it will be shown during the Sony conference again this year. Last year was the first time COD appeared during Sony's show, as it as normally been a part of the Microsoft conference. My interest in the Call of Duty franchise has slowly started to die down. Last year was the first time I didn't buy the game. I rented it a few times to play online with friends. Other than that I couldn't bring myself to throw down the $65 for the game. Even though I won't be purchasing this one either, I still want to keep tabs on it. I'm sure at the conference we will see a little bit of game play, not mention the perks of pre-order. Look for this game November 4, 2016.
5. Madden 17 - Every year we get the "newer" version of Madden. Though, every year it felt like we were getting the same damn game. Finally, last year actually felt different. It felt like the player had more control of the game than ever including how you throw the ball as the QB to how to catch the ball as the wide receiver. You could make the WR go up to the point of the ball, and snatch it out of the air. Make a more arcing pass as the QB. The defensive side of the ball felt a bit better, but not as much as the offensive side. One of the reasons I enjoy playing Madden every year as a lot to do with the rookies. I used to love playing the NCAA football games. Now that franchise has died, only way to play with rookie studs like, Ezekiel Elliott or Myles Jack, is to play the newer Maddens. Plus, they are fun ways to pass the time. You have 30 minutes to spare before being dragged out of your house by your wife. Pop in Madden, and test your skills on the virtual gridiron. Madden comes out August 23, 2016.
FIVE GAMES COMING TO E3 THAT I'M INTERESTED IN:
- Adam Schifani
1. Final Fantasy XV - After a decade of waiting, Final Fantasy XV finally has a release date, September 30th, and a ton of peripherals to accompany it, including a movie, anime, and mobile game. Square Enix announced earlier today that they will livestream FFXV from E3 after Sony's conference. We know it will be there, but will it be impressive? It fucking better be. They have had a decade to make and remake this game, and gamers need to be impressed or Final Fantasy is dead. I need this to be good, because this franchise helped shape my love of games. With two playable demos currently available, you would think this would not be one of my most anticipated games, but there is so much about the world and mechanics of FFXV that are still a mystery to us. Square stands the chance of riding this hype train to steal the show or it could derail and kill my dreams for Final Fantasy.
2. The Legend of Zelda - Nintendo has said the new Legend of Zelda will be at the show, and they have scheduled demos for the game in New York City for 500 lucky individuals. We ought to see a lot from this game this weekend, and I could not be more excited. Nintendo needs to kill with this game, and maybe we will get a release date or a release window. Eiji Aonuma and Shigeru Miyamoto please don't fail me.
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn - The new IP from Guerrilla Games, the creators of the Killzone franchise, was delayed this week. Sucks, but it's good for Guerrilla Games. They felt they needed more time to craft their game, and I encourage that. After seeing several trailers for this game, I really want it to blow me away, because so far it has. I think we will see some gameplay for this gorgeous game during Sony's conference.
4. Mass Effect: Andromeda - I adored the Mass Effect trilogy. The characters and the story were both fantastic. We've gotten glimpses of Andromeda, buy Bioware has been tight-lipped with the details of the new game. Mass Effect is one of the finest sci-fi epics in video games, and Bioware needs to show everyone that Andromeda comes from the same pedigree as the original trilogy. Several leaks have stated the game will feature the IP's dialogue trees, third-person combat, and possibly a seamless open galaxy.
5. Dishonored 2 - I truly enjoyed the first Dishonored game, and I liked the dark mythos behind everything. I'm looking forward seeing the second installment in this series on Sunday during Bethesda's show. I hope to see a lot of gameplay, and more of Emily and Corvo.
Games I hope to see or hear about at E3:
Before I continue let me note that I have no idea if some of these titles are at the show. I know over the past couple of days things have been leaked or officially announced. I am keeping them on this portion of the coverage, because we are not sure what to expect. Also, sorry Adam I am going to cheat and toss in an honorable mention. This part makes me the most excited of all. Just the rumors and possibilities of these games make me giggle like a child.
Nick's Honorable Mention: Marvel vs. Capcom 4
Okay, look. I know this is not happening. I hope to see something about this game every year. It's just not going to happen. Probably because Marvel doesn't need it, like it used too. Those games were meant for exposure to Marvel. Now with them owning the movie world, it seems they don't need a video game like this. They just cancelled their "toys to life" line. If there is any way Marvel gets back into video games soon, it won't be this franchise. But I can dream right? Why not bring this back though? The roster could be larger than ever, and fans would eat it up. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was one of the more popular fighting games ever. When the third installment was announced, fan boys all around the world needed a new pair of pants. If for some reason this game just came to life, believe me I will shit where I am standing. So, if this comes true you may want to check on me and bring me a new pair of pants.
1. God of War 4 - This game has been rumored for some time now. Now would be a good time to bring Kratos back to the world of the consoles. It can be the exclusive for the PS4 that people will flock too. The three games prior to this one have done outstanding. Not to mention the, what feels like hundreds, of Vita or PSP games attached to the title name. The other rumor attached to this possible game is the Norse aspect of it too. Which means instead of the Greek gods like Zeus or Ares, we will possible see gods like Thor or Odin (no not the Marvel versions). Norse gods are the Viking gods. It will be interesting to see how those versions of the gods could show up in this game, not to mention the brutal ways Kratos takes out the gods.
2. Telltale superhero games - We already know that Telltale is coming out with a Batman game. They released the news this week that it will be coming out this summer. That's exciting! I can't wait to see what that studio can cook up with that story, and I hope we get to see some of this game at E3. What makes me excited for more Telltale news is the possibility of a Marvel game, because it was rumored that Marvel is also working with the studio to release a game. Also, exciting! Look at what that studio has done with the Walking Dead games. Two seasons into that game and it has been a blast with each episode. Their stories make you want to buy each episode. I can only imagine what Telltale could do with a Marvel story line. Here's hoping they choose a great arc from the comics, either the Skrull arc or the Civil War arc. I wouldn't mind if they found a way to do the Siege arc from the comics. It's one of my favorites. Come on Telltale, don't let me down!!
3. Injustice 2 - This is another one of the games that was leaked and then announced a week before E3. Which is kind of disappointing. I'm not sure if the plan was to come out with the trailer this week or not. But it's out now. You can find it on Ed Boon's twitter account. The trailer looks great. It will be cool to see if they have any gameplay at E3. I'm sure Ed Boon will show us something. The first game was tons of fun. It had a different story, with Superman ruling an alternate world. Several of our world DC characters were transported to that world's Batman to help fight off Superman and his evil reign. It will be interesting to see where this story line goes. We know that there will be three new characters already. That being Supergirl, Gorilla Grodd, and Red Lantern Atrocitus. I can't wait to see more about this game next week.
4. Hideo Kojima's new game - Oh yeah! I'm calling it now! Hideo Kojima comes out on stage and makes every video game fan boy piss their damn pants. How does he accomplish this? By not only talking about his new game, but also gives the name of it. He tells everyone the concept of the game, while showing some concept art behind him. The image of the studio mascot was released this week. We now have an idea of what it looks like. This is a big deal for video game fans. Ever since Kojima left Konami and hitched his wagon to Sony, the internet has been speculating what the next project is going to be. I think we may get a hint at the project this upcoming week. Matter of fact, Kojima on stage releases a small teaser of the game. Completing the ultimate fucking mic drop!
5. PS4 exclusive Spider-Man game - GAAAHHHHH damnit please let this happen!! I wrote a couple months ago about the rumor of this game happening. Now more than ever as we get closer to E3, I want this to be true. I get goosebumps of just thinking about this game. I know we have had Spider-Man games in the past, but I fill like this could be so much more. Just as I wrote, this could be the next face of PS4. Let a studio like Sucker Punch create the Spider-Man game we need! While they are at it, go ahead and throw in the inFamous collection. I would love that too. Even though I don't think Marvel needs to compete with DC in the video game world, it doesn’t hurt. The Batman: Arkham games have killed it over the years. I would hope there is someone over in the Marvel offices trying to bend the ears of the powers that be to make a game like this. I can tell you right now, if this game happens the whole conference room would erupt in cheers. I would expect a fucking standing ovation. So please, please to everything good in this world make this game happen!!
GAMES I HOPE TO SEE OR HEAR ABOUT AT E3:
Adam's Honorable Mention: Legend of Dragoon 2
If we are talking about games that will never be, then I want to see Legend of Dragoon 2. It would be a sequel or a prequel to the original PS1 game. The original was a fantastic RPG, and it deserves for spotlight, but a sequel/prequel will never happen.
1. Elder Scrolls - It's been leaked that there may be a remaster of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which is fine I guess. If this is true, then I'm sure Bethesda put one of their many small studios on the remaster. I'm 100% positive we will see Dishonored 2 and maybe even Wolfenstein 2. Todd Howard's team recently finished Fallout 4 DLC, and I don't think they have anything of worth about Elder Scrolls VI. That being said, I would love to see a sliver of info about the game. Even the setting would be enough to tide me over for now.
2. Final Fantasy VII Remake - This probably won't happen, but I'd love to see more about the Final Fantasy VII Remake. I'm sure the Square Enix team is hard at work on FFXV. We got news at PSX, and I don't think we'll get more until maybe PSX 2016. Even though FFVII is overrated as hell, a man can dream.
3. For Honor - Ubisoft showed this game last year at E3. I'm not super excited for it, but it caught my interest because I like medieval games. The realistic style combat looks fun, and maybe frustrating. Also having knights, samurai, and vikings fight each other to the death is a dream come true for me. Throwing these famous warriors together, and watching them clash over claiming strongholds gets my blood pumping. Ubisoft don't fuck me on this.
4. Halo Wars 2 - I don't have an Xbox One, but I do love a good strategy game. Halo has a deep universe and a lot of various characters/units which lends itself well to the Real Time Strategy genre. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will come out for PC as well. Who knows?
5. Playstation VR - I'm sure Sony will show VR, but I specifically want to see games for VR. I want to see more of RIGS: Mechanized Combat League, but I also want to see an open world game. The open world game could be Skyrim-ish or Far Cry-ish, but I feel that would be very immersive. Really I want to see something of substance for Playstation VR.