By Lee Travis
Hey, Netflix. How are you? Great. And your parents? Good to hear. I asked you for coffee to talk about an important topic. You need to slow down. For yourself and me. Please. It's just too much. I'm worried about you.
In the month of May alone, Netflix released Sense8, Master of None, Anne, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Bloodline, and House of Cards. The next season of Orange Is The New Black just released on June 9. Six high profile shows in less than two months. Not to mention the list of other notable original TV programming (see below). This list doesn't even take into account the numerous movies and standup specials the streaming juggernaut has either released or plans to air in 2017. Netflix, you're doing way too much.
My head is spinning trying to catch up on all this good programming. Yes, we are in the golden age of television, but the rate that Netflix is exporting their services, I don't know when I'll finish my backlog. Normally I'm caught up on these tentpole Netflix shows, but I've fallen so far behind. I preferred the years when Netflix had their content release spread out. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we might have reached streaming overload.
In recent streaming news, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings cut Sense8, andThe Get Down. Two of the network's more high profile shows. Though cutting beloved shows hurts, it's better for the network in the long run. The streaming platform that became a powerhouse in the world of TV, built on the success of House of Cards, could easily come crumbling down if too much programming clogs the streaming tubes. This fall, the big two shows I'm looking forward to streaming are Stranger Things and The Defenders. Aside from these two, I don't know what else Netflix will surprise me with, which is part of the appeal. Who knows what show will become the next must-see thing?
Netflix, I love you. I'm here for you. We can work this out. Always.
List of notable original Netflix TV shows from January to June:
- 'A Series Of Unfortunate Events' (Season 1) — January 13
- 'Voltron: Legendary Defender' (Season 2) — January 20
- 'Chef's Table' (Season 3) — February 17
- 'Ultimate Beastmaster' (Season 1) — February 24
- 'Love' (Season 2) — March 10
- 'Marvel's Iron Fist' (Season 1) — March 17
- 'Samurai Gourmet' (Season 1) — March 17
- 'Grace and Frankie' (Season 3) — March 24
- 'Ingobernable' (Season 1) — March 24
- '13 Reasons Why' (Season 1) — March 31
- 'Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return' (Season 1) — April 14
- 'Bill Nye Saves the World' (Season 1) — April 21
- 'Girlboss' (Season 1) — April 23
- 'Dear White People' (Season 1) — April 28
- 'Sense8' (Season 2) — May 5
- 'Master of None' (Season 2) — May 12
- 'Anne' (Season 1) — May 12
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' (Season 3) — May 19
- 'Bloodline' (Season 3) — May 26
- 'House of Cards' (Season 5) — May 30
- 'Orange Is the New Black' (Season 5) — June 9