By Melody Klink
Gearbox just wrapped their main stage show at PAXEast 2019, and I’ve got all the goods you want! While it was obvious that 100% of people in attendance were there to see some BORDERLANDS action, Randy Pitchford and the teams of Gearbox had a little more to say.
First, Randy (and his Silent Bob teammate Paul Sage) ran through the teaser that was dropped yesterday, and left a few gems:
- Villains being worshipped by cultists. Yep, those twins are our new baddies, and the Cult of the Vault has taken to them like moths to a flame.
- TINY TINA CONFIRMED. Yep, that’s our bomb-loving girl, getting grown up! In fact, Randy issued NDAs to a few cosplayers just so they could work on this new stuff! Tiny Tina cosplayer Casey showed off Tina’s new mask!
- On pile of dead bodies: VAUGHN from Tales from the Borderlands! Tales is a fantastic game that I mightily encourage all to play, considering it’s now CANON STORY.
- Aurelia, the Baroness from The Pre-Sequel, is confirmed.
- All guns are in game. Every gun that makes up the mask!
- SHIFT code in trailer. A few YouTubers spotted this yesterday. (If you want the code, it’s C35TB-WS6ST-TXBRK-TTTJT-JJH6H.)
- Morse code: Randy joked that it said, “don’t forget to drink your ovaltine” But YouTuber Arekkz Gaming says “Count the Sirens.”
- The chick on rider, Amara is a NEW VAULT HUNTER!
- No skaggs actually flying on rakks. Sorry guys.
- Moxxi is in! New bar and it’s awesome, not the one shown in teaser.
- Broken Jack mask- “we’re assholes” says Randy, “Jack is dead.” Hmmm...
- Lilith front and center, Hammerlock too, Ellie and Marcus all confirmed.
- Scooter “didn’t make it” :( If you didn’t play Tales, DO IT NOW FOR YOUR OWN SAKE.
Presenters took their time inbetween, with Steve Gibson of Gearbox Publishing showcasing a few new works and revealing teams that Gearbox has been working with:
- Gearbox wants to be a worldwide publisher. Helped get numerous titles out so far: Homeworld. We Happy Few. Hello Neighbor. Bulletstorm (yay Duke Nukem!). Banner Saga. FORTNITE Save the World (from Epic, who obviously makes the engine that Borderlands runs on).
- Compulsion: DLC for We Happy Few! They Came from Below will be out April 4th.
- Bulletstorm: Duke of Switch Edition, coming Summer 2019!
- TinyBuild showcased Pathologic 2: spooky looking game, dismal and desolate, out on May 23rd.
- New partners: System Error; Squanch Games (with Rick and Morty creator) releasing Trover Saves the Universe; Hopoo Games releasing Risk of Rain 2 early access on STEAM. VALVE says Risk of Rain 2 purchasers get a free copy to gift!
Birthday people got Tiny Tina’s Robot Tea Party! A TABLETOP GAME FROM BORDERLANDS. It’s not Bunkers & Badasses, but we’ll take it. Here’s a quick breakdown of the game:
Build Claptrap by collecting pieces. SHIFT code in box! Hand of cards with different parts; take a Spin card to build on your Claptrap, or screw your neighbors by forcing them to have wrong parts, some cards block plays, there’s a Brick “punch legs off of Claptrap” card because OF COURSE, you can respawn with NewU card, Digistruct card wild, discard pile can be rifled through with Crazy Earl.
Randy, being the extra he is, did an awesome card magic trick with the birthday folks. It was tre cool.
At this point, Randy joked that this was the new Borderlands game, with a smile and a wave. “That’s it!”
The stage then filled with Concept Artists and others from Gearbox to discuss new Borderlands remasters: both Borderlands 1 AND The Handsome Collection will be getting HD, 4k remasters, with a few new shiny things implemented! Borderlands 1 will get changeable heads in addition to skins, along with the ability to use SHiFT codes in-game for loot!
And, finally, after a few technical hiccups (because 4k technology can eat a laptop), the pinnacle moment happened:
BORDERLANDS 3, BABY!!!
With a gorgeous trailer, Gearbox unveiled their hard work of the last five years, highlighting our new villains, some old and familiar faces, a bazillion guns, and ALL SORTS OF SHENANIGANS THAT MISTER TORGUE WOULD BE PROUD OF.
Randy of course had a sparkly “3” shirt on, which he revealed shortly before the trailer.
Guys, I am so FRAGGING EXCITED. Borderlands 3 looks utterly phenomenal- so much so, that Randy had the PAX team replay the trailer after it shuttered and jittered some. It’s so damned stylish- I would expect no less from Gearbox! While there was no release date given, I’m sure there’s more to come in following weeks.
Also, BRICK SAX SOLO, y’all.
Thanks to Randy Pitchford and the entire Gearbox team for making excellent content for us. I can’t wait to see y’all in Pandora and beyond.